Making the decision to have a child as a single person is a big one, so deciding how you want to go about this is extremely important. Whatever you choose, you need to ensure that you have a legally binding agreement in place before the child is born. This may sound complicated, so let me break it down for you.

Whether you need a co-parenting agreement or a sperm donor agreement depends largely on whether or not the prospective father wants to actually be a father to your child, or whether they are simply a friend doing you a favour.

co-parenting-agreementIf you are using a known sperm donor who does not wish to have any rights of responsibilities for the child you will need a sperm donor agreement explicating extinguishing any claim by the sperm donor to your child, and extinguishing any claim made by you or your child to the donor. This will not only ensure that the donor has no legal rights to the child but they also cannot be expected to support you and your child financially. This doesn’t mean that the donor couldn’t play any role in the child’s life at some point, but he would not be the legal father.

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum you may choose a sperm donor who you are not romantically involved with, but wishes to be a parent in order to be able to share responsibility and have your child grow up with two parents. Therefore you would need a co-parenting agreement, formally agreeing your intentions and desires for parenthood in a written document. This document is not guaranteed to be recognised by a court, however it is important for prospective parents to discuss these issues before the child is born, and having a written document will surely help to avoid misunderstandings later.

There is of course, one other option, and if you don’t want the sperm donor to have anything to do with the child besides genetics, you should perhaps consider anonymous sperm donation before anything else.